Wednesday, February 11, 2009

60 Degree Days Are Almost Always Followed By A Blizzard

At least, that's how it worked in Chicago and Boston. The worst blizzard I ever witnessed came on the heels of a very warm February day. Sound familiar? My dad was determined to go to work, so he woke us up, handed each of us a shovel and instructed us to dig out the driveway. We opened the front door and saw the snow drifted to the roof (it was a ranch house) and gave up. I think that was the only time weather ever kept him home. I can happily say that I do not share his work ethic and will stay home over a couple inches of snow or the threat of rain.I might feel differently driving a truck, but I still kind of hate driving and will decide against it every opportunity I get. I'm also still pretty sure that I was switched at birth and my real family of lazy, bongo-playing, poetry reading beatniks will ride up on bicycles looking for me some day.We'll all read Naked Lunch, make jokes about buttholes with teeth, and have a joyful reunion.

The current forecast is for a massive storm starting on Friday which means the supermarket will be pandemonium tomorrow as people stock up on milk, bread and cheese doodles. Unfortunately, I will need to go out and buy some dog food and return the movie rentals. I am not looking forward to this. I think the better option is to send Mr. Eat The Blog to work with a small list and let him do the chores on his lunch hour (he can get the movies on the way home).

It isn't like I had plans anytime soon, what with all the recent illness/injuries-but I like having the option to leave should the need arise. Where we live, that can take a while after a major storm. As soon as the snowflakes start falling, I start worrying about losing power and all the other lovely things that can happen when you live in the country.

I really wish I could summon my lazy-beatnik inner child that would just chill-out and enjoy the snow day, but my middle-aged self is too much of a control freak to permit it. Maybe I should make use of that Twitter feed and do a live twittering of a Burroughs novel-180 characters at a time. Sounds like as good an example of his Cut-Up Method as any.

Kid, it was tasty.

No comments: