Monday, February 02, 2009

The Finished Quilt



-It only took eight years!

Part of the problem is that a king sized embroidered quilt is just incredibly boring to stitch. So boring. Now that I look at it, I wish I'd gone with a border after all. Or maybe not. I don't know, I just couldn't look at it any longer.

The quilt is entirely hand stitched and embroidered, which is utterly insane given that I don't particularly like quilting. I have matching pillowcases to embroider and enough leftover quilt blocks for a throw, but it might be a good long while before I want to look at this pattern again. I know the photos are lousy, but it is late and the light isn't helping. It looks better in person.

I have a quilt I'm making for Danny (small, very small) that should be interesting to stitch. Anyway, I learned quite a bit making this (I learned that I don't like sewing!) that I wish I'd known when I made the quilt for Frances (rather uneven, I'm afraid). Thankfully, kids just like their blankets and aren't terribly harsh critics which is why it is so much fun to make them things.

I cannot believe it is finished.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to tell you congrats on finishing the quilt and I think it looks great. You have it right if you are using it, though I would be tempted after all that work to put it in a display case! :)

Goody said...

I'm waiting for the dog to throw up on it, then I'll really feel like it belongs to me ;)

jini said...

it's a beautiful quilt. is suspect you've already been to the int'l quilt museum in lincoln, but if you haven't you must go when you feel better! it's a treat!

Goody said...

Thanks, Jini. I actually haven't been over there-maybe someday.

I did give in and start the matching pillow shams. I probably will pack it all away for Danny when he's older. Hopefully he won't marry someone that puts it out for a buck at a yard sale ;)