Friday, February 20, 2009

Coconut Cake With Apricot Glaze Filling And Cream Cheese Frosting


I baked a cake about a year ago that looked exactly like this with a honey frosting. I lack real imagination when decorating cakes. No matter, at least I used enough imagination to find a way to get rid of the extra cup of coconut milk from last night's curry.

I'm afraid I am also lacking the imagination to say much of anything interesting here, so without further ado, here's the recipe:
(I have no idea where this came from originally. I've been using it for a couple years at least, and I should have written that information down, but I didn't. If this is your handiwork, thanks, and let me know so I can give credit where it is due).

You Will Need:

For The Cake:

1 cup coconut milk
6 egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups cake flour, sifted
1 3/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 9 inch pans and line the bottom with parchment. Grease the parchment. Flour the pans.

Combine the milk, eggs, and extract in a bowl and set aside.

Cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it is fine grained. Mix in 3/4 of the milk mixture and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape down sides, add the rest of the milk and beat another minute.

Pour into pans and bake 30-35 minutes or until it tests done. Cool fifteen minutes in the pan, then remove from pan and cool completely on a rack.

Filling: 1 cup of heated and strained apricot jam. Brush on tops of layers.

Frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
Enough confectioner's sugar to make it light
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Milk for thinning if needed

Whip the cream cheese until light. Add the vanilla and beat well. Add the confectioner's sugar a cup at a time until you have a spreadable but not runny frosting. Thin with milk if needed.

Chill well for several hours to set.

No comments: