Saturday, August 28, 2010

Mocha Buttercream Cake Filling

I split a sponge cake into three layers, and filled it with this really simple buttercream. I hope you like it-we sure did. Because the filling is so sweet, I gave the outside of the cake a bit of lightly sweetened whipped cream, rather than a proper frosting. The combination seemed about right.

You will need:

2 cups sifted confectioner's/icing sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
3 tablespoons melted butter
2-3 tablespoons cold water

Mix together, and beat until it reaches a spreading consistency. You may need more water if it is too thick.

3 comments:

Raymond said...

That's what my mom would put on my birthday cake every year - always angel food cake w the multi-colored candies inside for the confetti look. Angel food cake w/mocha frosting. I still love it!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Mocha flavored anything gets my vote. I love this simple yet decadent recipe.

Goody said...

I should point out that I'm using the cheap-o store brand instant coffee for this (something like three dollars a jar). I suppose you could splurge for the instant espresso powder, but honestly, I can't tell the difference.