Thursday, September 06, 2012

Dried Fruit, Garden, Etc.

I'm putting the dehydrator to good use this week drying pears, apples, black grapes, plums, and tomorrow-rosemary. Tons, and tons of rosemary.

Does anyone know if lime leaves can be dried? I have tons of those as well (who knew you could get a lime tree to thrive in Nebraska?). I like curry, but not that much.

The cantaloupes are hanging in there, as are the watermelons (evil, evil, watermelons that put me in hospital) and the preserving lemon. We have courgette flowers, but no courgettes. We have thriving yard long bean stalks-but no beans. They never podded. This has been the freakiest summer I've encountered here, and this is my eleventh year (this week) in Nebraska.

I have fall crops ready to go-purple sprouting broccoli, baby turnips, spinach, garlic. I want to dig in a few more tulips this fall, but not too many. I need to pull out the glads. Dig out the day lilies. I still have bell peppers growing, and new flowers on the plants. Such a strange summer.

Hopefully, my new found melon allergy won't extend to all varieties, and I'll be able to enjoy at least a few bites of the cantaloupe I've been babying all season. I'm interested in drying some of that as well-I've seen it in Asian grocers and been intrigued. Why the hell couldn't I be allergic to durian instead?

Anyone planting a late garden this year?

2 comments:

Janice said...

The man of my house insists that he has a master plan for some square foot gardening ideas. I hope he puts his plan into action fairly soon. Lots of crops are good for an autumn harvest. Peas, yes please!

Goody said...

What season did you plant your sesame? Some people plant it as a cover crop, but even with our mild (now) winters, I can't see it surviving. On the other hand, I didn't expect butter lettuces overwintering either.

Tell yer mister to get some cinder blocks for a super-quick raised bed. Not the most attractive thing, but they're a minimal investment of time and money.