Sunday, October 29, 2017

Time to Bake Parkin-and a bonus outfit post

Parkin is best made a week ahead, so if you want some for Bonfire Night, you'd best start planning now. This is a photo from a few years ago, and though it isn't pretty, I assure you the gingerbread is wonderful. Every year I bake one, then wish I'd made two. I'm going to try doubling the recipe this year, and I'll report back on how that goes. It might make more sense to simply make two separate batches.

You Will Need:

1 cup butter
1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
2 ounces dark molasses
7 ounces golden syrup (or corn syrup if you can't find golden)
3/4 cup rolled oats (not quick)
1 3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 teaspoons ground ginger
1/4 cup finely chopped crystalised ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon mixed spice
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk

Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment. 

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.

In a saucepan, melt the butter, sugar, molasses, and golden syrup over medium heat until combined. Don't let it boil or you will have candy-and a mess. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Add the melted butter/sugar mixture and mix well. Add the eggs slowly, and beat in with a wooden spoon. Add the milk and give it all a final mix. Tip the batter into the prepared pan. Place it on a baking sheet (this has a tendency to spill over, and you don't want to clean sugar syrup out of your oven). Bake about 1 hour, but as long as 1 1/2. You want the parkin to be dark brown, and the top should be set, but it will still seem soft. The middle will sink when removed from the oven-that's normal. Cool in the tin. When cool, wrap tightly in wax paper, and then in foil. Store tightly wrapped for 5-7 days before serving so it will acquire the sticky, heavy candy-like texture.

Then, when ready to eat-hide it, so you can eat it all yourself!

Now, here's that promised outfit post.

 I have jackets in leopard and zebra so when I saw this fuzzy, tiger print coat I didn't hesitate. It is quite warm, nicely lined, and let's face it-goes with just about anything (animal prints are neutrals). Worn with a glittery tulle skirt I bought in the children's department at Target, and a nylon top I'm sure was originally part of a stage costume, I knew this outfit was going to be worth some photos.

 I chose my red bag as it looked more orange inside-foiled again! What can I say? Still, it is a very nice fabric-covered bag from the 60's that I was happy enough to snag for $3.99 at the Goodwill in Blair, Nebraska. It is a bit out of the way, but worth the drive. I'd say that store consistently has better vintage, at rock-bottom prices. I don't mind a drive in the country, particularly if there's great stuff waiting for me. The shop is on the way to the DeSoto Wildlife Refuge in Iowa, so Danny gets something out of the trip as well.
There's metal feet on the bottom as well-always a sign of a better-made bag.
 Outfit Particulars:
Nylon blouse-Goodwill
Tulle skirt-Target, last year
Tiger print jacket-Goodwill
Vintage handbag-Goodwill
Trainers-Hand-Me-Ups
Orange tights-Walgreen's
Belt-Shop-Ko


*Tony the Tiger voice* Hope your weekend was Grrrrrrrrrreat!











9 comments:

Propagatrix said...

Target’s kids’ section has some good stuff. I got a black dress with silver spiderwebs and another with a monster face with a zippered pocket for a mouth. Best part of my weight loss is being able to wear girls’ L or XL — sleeve lengths are perfect.

Goody said...

@Propagatrix
Yes-cardigans that aren't too long in the arms, and leggings that don't bunch up around the knees are the best. I recently found out I've lost almost 2 inches in height (talk about a shock)so I might need to avail myself of the kid's department more often.

Bibi Maizoon said...

That parkin looks & sounds deeelish!
Looking Fall & festive!
Animal prints & metallics are my jam! (Well, Indian clothing too)
I shrank an inch in height too- gravity takes it's toll on bones & ligaments.
O, I forgot to say my contact lenses are trifocal not bifocal.

Vix said...

Tiger print and an orange blouse with huge sleeves? You're killing me.
We've got a bakery chain locally called "The Poundbakery", it's got a sign outside this week advertising "Posh Parkin", a step up from the sausage rolls and pasties the great unwashed of the Black Country survive on. xxx

Polyester Princess said...

I'm not familiar with parkin, but if your advice is to hide it when it's ready, I'm sure it will be utterly delicious! I love the orange top with its fabulous sleeves, which is looking great with the tiger print. I love the bag too, well worth the detour I'd say. I'd now idea those metal feet were the signs of a better made bag. Another lesson learned. xxx

Goody said...

@Bibi-that's even better. I'm definitely looking into contacts then.

@Vix
I wonder what makes it posh? I always thought Parkin was a low-end treat (being mostly sugar and oatmeal). I make a pretty good vegetarian sausage roll, but we save those for Christmas entertaining. For the 5th I'm going to make Danny stand outside in the cold eating a baked potato with mittens on for the full bonfire experience (without the bonfire).

@Ann
I made it with mixed spice so I won't be tempted to eat it (I have a sensitivity to cloves). I will however be consuming a giant wheel of stinky washed-rind cheese by myself as no one else will touch it. As I'm shrinking, I need all the calcium I can get and if it comes in the form of expensive cheese, all the better.

Radostin said...

As usual, I admire the tonal play of the warm red with the oranges - adds depth. Your tiger coat is fab and that Parkin looks absolutely delicious.

Mim said...

I too am intrigued by Vix's 'posh parkin' comment. I always think of it as a northern thing, just as lardy cake is from the south-west. Never thought of it as especially fancy, though.

That sparkly skirt is such a happy thing.

Goody said...

@Radostin
It came up nice this year (so they tell me). The only trick to it is planning ahead.

@Mim
We made veggie sausage rolls and baked potatoes too-no one leaves a party at my place carb-deprived.