Friday, December 14, 2007

Oh, Ewww

Look, I don't care what the Food Standards people say-I'm washing my poultry. Even if the higher heat kills the microbes-which I'm sure it does, have you ever had a look at the crud inside the bird? No, I'm sorry, the poultry is getting washed at our house.

You do however, need to be careful of cross-contamination. Disposable cutting boards are wonderful, as are toss-away towels and bleach water solutions. Use your brain-set aside all the utensils used to prepare poultry and then wash them in very hot soapy water-immediately. Don't simply set them aside or you'll forget what's been used for what. Scour your sink and counter when finished. Really, you ought to do that anyway, as we've recently seen spinach can be as dangerously diseased as a turkey.

Hate to sound like an old fuddy-duddy wagging a finger and lecturing-but use your heads.

No comments: