Monday, December 24, 2007

Run Run As Fast As You Can...


You Can't Catch Me, I'm The Gingerbread Man!
I seem to get gingerbread amnesia each Christmas until I begin rolling it out and remember why I hate making gingerbread. That's some really stiff dough to roll once chilled. I made 15 gingerbread boys and girls and still have 1/2 a roll of dough in the fridge. Maybe I'll make gingersnaps to keep on hand for thickening sauces (never tried that? Try it-works great).


Last evening we made our yearly drive to look at Christmas lights in Omaha. The trip also included a stop at Walgreens (for those outside the US, Walgreens is a pharmacy chain that sells just about everything-sort of like Boots, in Britain). Two chocolate Santas, a water globe and Hot Wheels sticker books later, we emerged somewhat dazed by the bustle of last minute shoppers and controlled chaos in the small store.


I'm still having trouble doing much without a great deal of pain (but stubborn enough to put off medical attention until after Christmas) but I am not going to ruin Danny's Christmas with this. Another few days won't make much difference one way or the other. I did need to cut back this year however-I'm making creamed cod for Christmas dinner. Cookie baking is one thing, but I draw the line at obese poultry. Turkey needs more attention than I'm willing to devote to something none of us particularly like.


If I can just get through tonight and tomorrow without my uterus falling out, it'll be like, the best Christmas ever!*


*The best Christmas ever was the year my mother-in-law and sister-in-law made dinner and nearly killed me with some organic dish that contained raw honey and bee pollen! It wasn't deliberate (or so they say...) but it has made for many a Christmas joke ever since.

No comments: