Saturday, May 16, 2009

Pickled Mushrooms


Can you tell I bought a large quantity of bargain mushrooms? I still have a pound left to make pierogi tomorrow.

The technique for this is a bit odd, but easy enough. Don't be an idiot like me-stand back from the boiling vapours as it isn't so nice to breathe. A quick Google search let me know I'd live, and that some people actually deliberately inhale vinegar vapours as a health thing. All I'm going to say on that one is that some people believe trepenation has medical value too-just because people do it does not make it a good idea (though really, if you're into drilling holes in your head, who the heck an I to tell you otherwise. Anyway, about the vinegar-I warned you.

For a no-cook marinated mushroom recipe, go HERE.

From The Women's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery, vol. 8

You Will Need:

2 tablespoons of salt dissolved in 4 cups water

1 pound small white mushrooms, trimmed but not peeled
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 bay leaf
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups dry white wine (I used vermouth because I prefer it in cooking to white wine)
2 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Wash the trimmed mushrooms in the salt solution, drain.

Mix everything else except the mushrooms together in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add the mushrooms and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook ten minutes or until mushrooms are softened.

Carefully, lift lid and remove to a dish to cool along with the liquid. Chill a few hours or overnight before serving and store in liquid. Drain before serving.

No comments: