Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Neat Trick With a Sheet-Cake, and Gulliver

If you're baking a 9x13 sheet cake and want to give it some interest, stir in a bag of chocolate (or any flavour) chips. They will sink to the bottom creating a nice layer. I did this with a simple white cake last night, and then gave it a rather plain cream, cheese frosting and the effect was really nice...almost like bars.

I can't believe I never thought of it.

We're due for some bad weather this evening and I'm debating whether to go out and pick the enormous tomato we've been letting sun-ripen. It was so big, we had to name it. Gulliver. I swear the thing is the size of a softball. For a rather cool summer, I still can't get over the yield I'm getting from the tomato plants. I don't know if they just really like being in a raised bed, or the quality of the soil or the cheap fertiliser spikes we used, but they sure like something.

No comments: