Thursday, July 30, 2009

Vietnamese Tofu Salad


I went ahead and made it anyway, but I knew there was no way I could stand and grate cabbage. I used a sharp knife instead and I think it came out just fine-actually thinner than it is most of the time when we order it out. Obviously, I didn't top it with chopped peanuts, but that's the way it is ordinarily served. Serve the salad chilled over hot jasmine rice with extra fresh mint and basil for the top.

You Will Need:

1 package extra-firm tofu pressed dry of liquid, sliced and fried in a bit of oil until golden
6-8 cups shredded cabbage (better if you have Nappa, but no big deal if you don't)
3 large carrots, grated
1/2 cup shallots, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped mint leaves
1/2 cup basil leaves, coarsely torn
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
3 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes

Cook the tofu and set aside.

Combine the cabbage, carrots, shallots, garlic, and half the basil and mint in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, fish sauce, vinegar, sugar and red pepper flakes. Mix well until sugar dissolves. Pour over salad and add tofu. Mix well and let marinate about half an hour before serving chilled over hot rice (trust me on the hot-cold thing).

Even better the next day.

No comments: