Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Clothes, Cake, and Cameras

I apologise for the poor quality of these photos as they came off my phone. I've recently purchased a new camera, but haven't really had the time so sit down and get used to working with it. I appreciate your patience as I sort things through. 
That beast weighs a tonne! I need a new tripod as my old one would never hold it-even without the lens and flash. Clearly more camera than I require, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. 
So clothes. I've been wearing them, as you do. 
This is a 70's polyester maxi dress and a 70's Ultrasuede coat. I paid $20.00 for the coat, which is much more than I would typically fork over for Ultrasuede. I made an exception because it fitted perfectly, and well...that blue! Yes, I have an Ultrasuede suit in the same shade of blue, but this is a full-length coat so...justified? I'm not convinced, but it is mine now and I plan to wear it to death as Ultrasuede knows no season.


The basket bag is yet another Caro-Nan, this one from Ohio. It is taller than my Nebraska version. I've been lucky finding these bags-they sell for quite a bit online.

Outfit Particulars:
1970's maxi dress-Goodwill
1970's Ultrasuede coat-Hand-Me-Ups
Velvet boots- K Mart
Caro Nan handbag-Etsy
Earrings-K Mart
Fragrance-Tuscany per Donna

We're officially into tartan weather-and this one is a beauty.
 This is a vintage Pendleton in the Boyd tartan. It is wool, fully lined and a joy to wear. The pockets don't gape, and it doesn't have any silly pleats.
The jacket is a Lauren relic from the 80's (look at that collar!) that I don't particularly like, but it goes with everything. The cashmere sweater I bought at Marshall Fields in the early 80's when you could still get good quality cashmere. It has a Hong Kong label.
 Outfit Particulars:
Vintage Pendleton skirt-Can't remember
Cashmere sweater-Marshall Fields, 80's
 1980's Ralph Lauren jacket-can't remember
Bracelet-Goodwill
Necklace-Goodwill
Valdrome bag-Hand-Me-Ups
Fragrance-Parure

Now for the cake.
This is an oatmeal cake with a coconut topping. I can tell how much the boys like a cake by how long it lasts. This one went very quickly. Traditionally it would have chopped pecans or walnuts in the topping but I omitted them due to allergies. Feel free to add half a cup if you like. 

You will need:
1 1/4 cups boiling water
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup butter 1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarb
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

For the topping:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
5 ounces evaporated milk
12 ounces flaked coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add the brown sugar and cook until it comes to a boil. Add the milk, and again bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Spread on hot cake and broil about 2 minutes. 

Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
Pour water over oatmeal in a small bowl and let sit 20 minutes. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and both sugars. Add eggs one at a time beating well between additions. Add oatmeal to creamed mixture. Sift together dry ingredients and blend into creamed mixture. Pour into prepared pan and bake about 35 minutes or until cake tests done. About 5 minutes before cake comes out, start making the topping. Spread the topping on the warm cake as soon as it comes out of the oven, and then place under the broiler about 6 inches from the element for about 2 minutes or until the coconut turns a toasty brown and the mixture is bubbling. Cool in pan on a rack. 

Hope your week is going well. 


10 comments:

Bibi Maizoon said...

Love that 70's maxi- the floral looks very Peter Max. The velvet boots are divine- rock on Kmart!
You got a Canon 30D! I was looking at the Canon Rebel but decided on getting the iPhone X instead. (If a camera breaks here I'd have to send it to Seoul, an iPhone goes to Delhi). However, I'm still waiting for my iPhone to come from Beijing.

bahnwärterin said...

the blue look is stunning and the handbag is a genius touch!!
but red is not bad either! fabulous and cool looking - gorgeous tartan skirt.
oh - the cake - sounds and looks yummy! no wonder it went fast :-)
xxxx

Vix said...

That fabulous maxi should be in my wardrobe, I love it! it looks utterly brilliant with the coat and the crazy basket, too.
A friend of ours gave us an older version of that Canon, it takes great photos but, you're right, it weighs a ton!
That cake looks delicious! xxx

Mim said...

That cake sounds intriguing. And delicious! (I love coconut.)

My husband uses a Canon, so feel free to badger him if you ever have any queries.

Polyester Princess said...

I have a Canon EOS camera as well. I've had it since 2013 and have taken over 20000 photos with it already. I'm quite pleased with it. It does indeed weigh a ton, though. That maxi is gorgeous and I'm loving the velvet boots. And oh my, the Caro-Nan bag is stunning, what a great find! I'm loving your red outfit too: that colour is just gorgeous on you, even if you're not its biggest fan! xxx

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

I thought the photos were pretty good!

I don't know what ultrasuede is but I like it! I absolutely love the maxi dress and it fits you like a glove. The coat is beautiful and it looks very elegant on you. And oh that bag is so gorgeous...velvet boots too.

A tartan kilt without pleats sounds like a very good idea to me and paired with a cashmere jumper it looks fab.

What a delicious sounding and looking cake. I love coconut.

Beth Waltz said...

Something about ultra suede and blue dyes? I've a pet ultra suede shirt jacket in a lighter shade of blue. Your post has inspired me to do the math and gads! here's a garment purchased new (in a department store long out of business) that has become genuine vintage. Your $20 was well spent!

Goody said...

@Bibi
There's some real advantages to a phone, for sure. I have a cheap pay-as-you-go TracFone, though the camera on it is ok.

@Beate
Thank you. I always forget about oatmeal cake as it seems so plain, but then I remember everyone likes it.

@Vix
You'd swim in it, or I'd send it to you.

@Mim
Could you ask how to turn it on?!
I do have the manual and a video, but no time to read it.

@Veronica
Ultrasuede is a synthetic suede that is lightweight, drapes beautifully and can be laundered. Halston was the first designer to use it widely.

@Beth
I wonder between us how many department stores we've outlived?

Radostin said...

What very perfect shades of blue and red in these outfits, very nice indeed. That coat does looks worth splashing out on, and I do admire your tartan skirt - garments that are a joy to wear, what could be better.

Goody said...

@Radostin
I really try not to spend much on clothing but I was seduced by the ultrasuede.