Sunday, November 11, 2007

Guess What I Found At The Library Sale


I am now the proud owner of bound sets of two year's worth of Gourmet magazines from 1972 and 1973. I've already started marking them with post-it pads. When I tell you what we paid, you'll laugh till you wet your pants. Let's just say that library sales in itsy-bitsy Midwestern towns don't value these things the way they do crummy fiction.


I cannot wait to make lettuce pancakes and tuna pate moulded under clarified butter.


The ads are disturbing though. I doubt you could sell a sherry today by referring to it as a "Man's Drink." At they very least, you'd have to change the name because "Dry Sack" just doesn't conjure-up visions of manliness. Any guys out there that would feel comfortable asking a bartender for a Dry Sack?


Some of the ads are for products that no longer exist. We had a great time reminiscing over Kahlua Cups, Holland Rusks, and a powered base that was interchangeable with a mixer, food processor, meat grinder, can opener, etc. You simply popped-on the appliance you needed and it worked off the same motor. I'd sort of like one of those-maybe I should check Ebay.


Danny is getting a great deal of enjoyment from the magazines as well. The automobile ads are fantastic. There's a 1973 Thunderbird featuring the brand new innovation of power windows and a moon roof.


Anyway, expect to see recipes from the old magazines as I'm in cooking heaven-and just in time for the holidays.

No comments: