Friday, September 12, 2008

Apple Cherry And Raisin Pie


Since Crisco was changed to be trans fat free it no longer makes decent pie crust-this is a source of great irritation. I spent years perfecting my pie crust only to be brought back to the beginning again. I made this crust using all butter and while Danny and Papa liked it, I did not. Maybe I need to try half and half. The flavour was fine, but the texture was almost like very soft bread. That was odd, as butter crusts are notorious for being tough. Anyway, it is back to the drawing board and if anyone has a wonderful lard-free pie crust recipe to share, I'm all ears.

The filling was straight forward and delicious though on the less-sweet side.

You Will Need:

Unbaked double pie crust
6 cups peeled, sliced apples (I used local Macs)
2 cups pitted cherries (I used the ones I froze in July)
1 cup raisins
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons butter for dotting
cream for brushing top crust
extra sugar for sprinkling top crust

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.


In a bowl, mix the apples, cherries and raisins together. Pile in pie crust keeping the centre higher than sides.

Mix together flour, sugar and cinnamon. Spread over fruit in crust. Drizzle on water. Dot with butter pieces and top with crust. Vent in several places. Brush with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 375 degrees F. for about an hour. Mine went an hour and fifteen minutes, but you should keep an eye on it.

2 comments:

Betty Rallon said...

I only use Tenderflake for my pie crust

Betty Rallon said...

Tenderflake is all vegetable and delicious