Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Spice Cake


I adapted this from the old recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook. The thought of an entire cup of full-flavour molasses was a bit much for me today (though I do ordinarily love molasses). I substituted mild molasses and golden syrup instead and it really came out wonderful. I also omitted the cinnamon and flavoured it with ginger and a generous amount of ground cloves. Served with the homemade applesauce it was one of the best desserts I've brought to the table in some time.

Golden syrup isn't available everywhere in the US and often it is priced at a premium. You can substitute equal parts of molasses and corn syrup, or even try using rice syrup for a different flavour. Cane syrup is another option (often found in Caribbean markets). I can't attest to sorghum, but I'd be willing to try it if I could get my hands on some syrup. Really, any of these would work though personally, I wouldn't use black treacle or blackstrap molasses as they are both a bit too strong for anything save medicinal purposes.

if you do get your hands on golden syrup, it makes a lovely topping for oatmeal, and diluted with some water, a beautiful glaze for the tops of home-baked bread.


You Will Need:

1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup mild molasses
1/2 cup golden syrup
1 cup boiling water
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

Butter and flour a 9 inch square pan.

preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a large bowl, mix together the butter, sugar and egg until well-blended. Add the molasses, golden syrup and boiling water. Mix well. Sift together the dry ingredients and add to the liquid batter. Mix until smooth (but don't over beat). Pour into prepared pan and bake 45-50 minutes. Serve hot or cold.

No comments: