Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Spinach, Carrot And Cheese Torte





Although it looks complicated, this torte was actually pretty easy to assemble. I opted for dried onion and garlic to avoid cooking them first-it worked well and let me save my energy for other important things-like trying to breathe. When I do cook these days I try to make meals that will last for a couple days this is a massive amount of food and should make many happy lunches and dinners until the weekend. I opted for a meatless version so Danny could eat it, though I know my husband would have preferred something filled with meat. Note to self-this would be awesome with potatoes, barley, and shredded goat meat.

You can make this as a large torte or two smaller ones. I used a springform pan, but any large, deep round pan would work. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be square or rectangular either.

I liked how each of the components could be done ahead and set aside until I was ready to assemble it. This really helped me, as I don't think I'm quite ready for standing on my feet cooking dinner. Feel free to try other fillings and let me know how it turns out if you try it. I will cut it once it has cooled completely and update with photos tomorrow.

You Will Need:

For The Dough:

1-cup warm water

1-teaspoon sugar

2 ¼ teaspoons granulated dry yeast

2 teaspoons salt

3-4 cups bread flour

For The Filling:

2 blocks frozen spinach, cooked and squeezed dry of water

6 carrots, scrapped and coarsely grated

2 cups 4% cottage cheese, drained-divided

3 cups grated Provolone-divided

1 cup grated Pecorino Romano-divided

2 eggs-divided

2 teaspoons dried onions-divided

1 teaspoon dried minced garlic-divided

1 teaspoon marjoram-divided

1 teaspoon dried basil-divided

1/2 cup Kalamata olives, chopped

Egg wash-1 egg yolk + 1 tablespoon water

Prepare the dough by combining the water, sugar and yeast in a small bowl. Let proof 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and add salt and 2 cups of the flour adding more as needed until you have dough that is no longer sticky and can be kneaded. Knead well for 10 minutes or until quite elastic. Place in an oiled bowl, turn to coat and cover. Let rise 1 hour. Punch down and let rest 10 minutes. Divide in ALMOST half with the piece for the bottom slightly larger. Roll out and fit into a well-greased springform pan. Fill, top with other piece of dough.

For The Filling:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl combine the spinach, half the cottage cheese, half the provolone, half the Romano and half the spices. Mix well with 1 egg. Layer into the bottom of the dough-lined pan.

Top with a layer of olives.

In another bowl, mix the carrots and remaining cheese and spices. Beat in remaining egg and mix well. Spread over layer of olives.

Top with remaining crust and brush with egg wash.

Place pan atop a baking sheet (just in case it leaks) and bake in the centre position for about 40 minutes, or until nicely browned. Keep checking at five-minute intervals after half an hour just to be safe.

Let cool at least ten minutes before removing from pan. It will be easier to serve cold, but is delicious either way.

No comments: