Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Passover Chocolate Cake-Simone Beck Version


I made THIS last year and since I knew it worked well, did it again today. This year I decorated it with parlsocker-fancy, huh? That's me-always with the fancy stuff.

We used my late friend's blue tablecloth which I had shoved in a drawer years ago when she gave it to me because it was ugly, and polyester. Maybe it is because this is the first Passover since she died, or maybe because I'm getting older and can appreciate a tablecloth that does not require ironing-but I thought it looked lovely. Sometimes I miss Evelyn so much that it actually physically hurts to think about it.

We won't talk about the utter disaster that preceded this cake that I devoted three hours to before tossing it in the dustbin. The recipe neglected to mention some vital information like cooking the egg yolks to a custard-but that's OK. We're not going to talk about the two pounds of dried apricots, the pound of butter...well you get the idea. What's worse, it was from a cookbook. Don't they have editors to check for those sorts of errors? Right, but we're not going to talk about that. Hey, let's talk about this magnificent cake-because it really is. Couldn't be easier either. Well, all right, it could be-but still it isn't that difficult to manage-less work that a flourless chocolate mousse cake.

2 comments:

Raymond said...

O man.. I wish I were there tonight!
"Chag Pesach Sameach!"

Goody said...

We wish you were too.