Sunday, April 26, 2009

Vintage Clothing

1930's rayon dress with beading detail

1930's rayon dress with interesting sleeves/neckline


Lanz, dated 1958

Cotton, 1960's
1950's rayon with rhinestone detail at neckline

I started buying vintage clothing when I was still in High School-it drove my mother up the wall. From her standpoint, they could afford to buy me clothing, and she couldn't fathom why I would want to wear someone's old cast offs. Admittedly, vintage clothing was just called "second hand" at that time and celebrities weren't doing it.

I chose a good time to get in on the market. I have a beaded flapper dress that with a bit of restoration might buy Danny his first used car someday. By the time I was actively seeking vintage clothing in the early 90's, good finds were still available-but becoming scarce. Those were the years when I'd spend a couple days at the Brimfield Fair haggling over woolen women's suits from the 1940's.

I still find things occasionally that interest me, but I stopped actively acquiring vintage clothing a few years ago. I really do have enough-more than enough. No really, I'm serious-an entire second floor bedroom is used for storage of clothing. I'm not going to run out of things to wear.

I thought it might be fun to start showing some of the more interesting items. I haven't figured out a good way to photograph them yet, so bear with me as I know these are less than perfect pictures.

2 comments:

Designer Cufflinks said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Halloween Costumes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.