Thursday, April 22, 2010

Apple Raisin Crumble


For my tastes, this was far too sweet. Mr. ETB really liked it. I'm posting it with the warning that you could cut the sugar by half and it would still be perfectly sweet.

I haven't consumed artificial sweeteners in years, and I suspect this has something to do with why I gauge sweetness differently from people who consume diet soda and chew sugarless gum. The fake stuff is so much sweeter than sugar, it really confuses the palette after a while. I don't do a lot of corn syrup either, so in fairness I can't lay all the blame at the feet of the artificial products (though calling corn syrup natural is a bit of a stretch...)

My apples were somewhat dry, being out of season and all. You may want to add extra liquid if you make this out of season.

Adapted from The Granny Stark Apple Cookbook

You Will Need:

4 medium apples (I used Granny Smith)peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 cup raisins
2 tablespoons brown sugar (I used homemade, which was heavy on the molasses. Light might have been better)
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon allspice
1 cup AP flour
1 cup brown sugar (again, I thought this was too much)
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 2 quart baking dish. Combine raisins, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, allspice, orange juice, orange zest, and apples. Pour into baking dish. In another bowl, combine flour, 1 cup brown sugar, oats, cinnamon and cut in the butter until you have crumbs. Spread dry mixture over apples and bake 30-40 minutes or until top is browned and underneath is bubbly. Serve warm.

No comments: