Friday, April 02, 2010

Gefilte Fish (sort of)


Oh, I know-you don't make gefilte fish from cod. At least I didn't use salt cod...though I did think about it. My grandmother used whitefish. Honestly, I don't think it matters what fish you use, so long as it can be ground. I chopped mine-by hand. With a chopper. I don't know why, I have a perfectly good grinder. This worked fine though, and the fish still held together.

You Will Need:

For the stock:

4 cups vegetable stock
1/2 onion, sliced
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 carrots, finely sliced
A few sprigs of parsley]Salt and pepper
1/4 cup sugar

For the fish:

1 1/2 lbs. cod (or any fish you like)
3 tablespoons matzo meal
Salt/pepper to taste
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 onion, ground or very finely chopped
1 large egg


Simmer the broth until it suits your taste. Grind or chop the fish and onion. FCombine with everything else and form into patties (I got six large ones). Gently slide them into the simmering broth, and cover. You want these to cook at a very slow simmer, for about 2 hours. Halfway through, give them a gentle turn with a spoon. Remove to a casserole dish. Strain the broth and pour it carefully back into the dish with the fish. Remove a few carrots from strained vegetables and place them in the dish for serving. Cool in broth and then chill. You can alternately, reduce the broth so that it will gel better, but I rarely bother.

No comments: