Monday, April 19, 2010

Jail?

The problem with privitisation is that private companies are in business to make money. If they can't do something profitably, they won't. Two of the private providers that were hired to manage Nebraska's child welfare system have pulled out of their contracts leaving the state scrambling to find placements for children in foster care. In the absence of an actual plan, they housed the children temporarily at the county jail. As far as I know, the county jail hasn't been privatised (yet).

This probably ought to be shocking, but it just isn't. I wish it were shocking. I wish I still had the ability to be dismayed by the actions of people charged with "helping" the vulnerable-but I've seen it too many times to view it as anything outside the norm for Nebraska. This is just one more incident in a very long list.

No comments: