Thursday, April 15, 2010

Homemade Potato Crisps


I served these still slightly warm with dinner. I didn't have any leftovers, so I can't say how well they hold up next day. As we're on the third day of eating borscht, I thought I owed Mr. ETB something different. I also made a pasta salad that they will likely be eating all weekend. I really like to cook in quantity.

These were simple enough to do provided you plan ahead, and feel comfortable deep frying. I used my large enamel Dutch oven, but a small batch could be managed in a cast iron frying pan. The main thing is to really watch the heat, making sure that it comes back up in temperature before doing the next batch. If the oil isn't hot enough, it will penetrate the potatoes and make them soggy.

Use good oil, and be sure to drain them on a rack over a baking sheet rather than on paper towels. Toss generously with coarse salt while still warm.

You Will Need:

Potatoes
Oil

Peel and slice your potatoes as thin as possible. I have a very sharp, thin knife that I'm comfortable working with, but you could also use a slicer. I mean, slice them paper-thin. Place then in a bowl of water to cover and set in the fridge for several hours before cooking. Drain them, rinse off any excess potato starch and then (here's the part where you can really see I'm my mother's daughter) dry each chip completely with a towel. Yeah, I know, but do it anyway.

Heat your oil, and in small batches, cook the potatoes, turning a few times during the cooking. Before they are dark brown, remove them with a slotted spoon to a rack. When all potatoes are cooked, send them through the fat a second time until deeply browned. Remove with slotted spoon to rack. Toss with salt, and serve warm.

No comments: