Saturday, April 02, 2011

What I Learned Today

1). Giant hissing cockroaches really do hiss, and are gigantic.

2). You need to use hand santiser before petting snakes because they can get sick from human germs.

3). llamas are really funny looking, and teenaged boys will have their photographs taken beside one doing the devil-fingers thing. Am I missing something? Shouldn't that be goats? I'm so freaking out of touch with popular culture I had to have, "air guitar" explained to me yesterday (I thought it was some sort of freemason hand-sign thing-y they were doing) but that is another post for another day.

4). We have a local Parrot rescue organisation. You wouldn't imagine there would be that many parrots flying around Nebraska in need of rescuing, but apparently there are. Danny got to pet a parrot, and have a small one perch on his arm-that was neat.

5). Giant millipedes are much larger than the ones I find curled up on the kitchen floor.

6). Turtles are in need of rescue here as well. They live a long time, and little boys bring them in from the backyard and keep them as pets, protected from predators...until they go off to college, and then their mothers dump them off at the rescue society. Danny got a stern lecture about leaving wildlife in the wild.


7). The best thing I learned today? There's no smile better than the one your child has when he notices his own painting on display at the museum. The exhibit will be up all summer, so I imagine we'll have plenty of opportunity to visit Danny's artwork.

Not a bad way to spend an afternoon.

No comments: