Monday, January 30, 2012

Parve Kishka


This is meatless, though it does contain eggs as a binder and is not suitable for some vegetarians. A kishka (pronounced, "kishkee") is a stuffing in a casing. This variety does not require a casing, and is super-easy to prepare. The recipe suggested using a food processor, or a grinder, but I did just fine with my box grater. I also omitted the celery (I didn't have any) and increased the carrots to four. It was fantastic. I skipped seeking out a box of farina and used my sourdough breadcrumbs instead-inspired, and excellent!

These re-heat well in a new piece of foil generously brushed with oil.

From Kosher Cooking, Contemporary and Classic by, Frances R. AvRutick. (This is quickly becoming my favourite cookbook).

You Will Need:

1 cup matzo meal
1 cup Plain flour
1/2 cup farina (I used dried breadcrumbs)
2 large carrots, peeled (I used 4)
1 large onion
2 large eggs
1/2 cup oil (I used corn oil)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper (I used black)
2 tablespoons paprika (my addition)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Blend together matzo meal, flour and farina. Set aside. Grate vegetables finely. Add eggs, oil and seasonings. Mix well. Generously grease 2 sheets of aluminum foil. Divide mixture in half and roll each into a log. Roll up tightly in foil and place on a baking sheet. Repeat with other half. Bake 45 minutes. Serve hot.

No comments: