Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Savoury Prune Pate


I'm sorry, there isn't any possible way of photographing this that keeps it from looking like a turd garnished with stem ginger. See, this is what I mean about the obligation bloggers feel to photograph everything. I think we could all be better off having not seen this.

Right. So ask me about the .25 cent book I snagged at the sale a few months ago called, Pate, The New Main Course for The 80's"by, Carol Cutler.

What Ms. Cutler lacked in an ability to predict food trends, she makes up for in interesting recipes. In fact, most of the side dishes are more interesting than the pates. While prune timbales may never have become the "quiche of the 80's", they make a very nice accompaniment to a meal. In fact, I think they would be delicious with roast venison.

You Will Need:

4 ounces pitted prunes
1/2 cup chicken stock (I used veggie)
1/4 cup port or maderia (I used brandy)
1/4 cup orange juice
2 inch strip of lemon rind
1 ginger slice, crushed (I had stem ginger which I used=-wasn't sure what a slice of ginger meant in 1980)
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon gelatin
1/2 cup yoghurt


Put prunes in a small bowl and pour on enough boiling water to cover. let stand 30 minutes. Strain. Place prunes, stock, port, orange juice, lemon rind, and ginger in a saucepan. Stir in nutmeg. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook 30 minutes. Remove from heat and with a slotted spoon remove prunes, ginger, and rind. Discard ginger and rind. Sprinkle gelatin on top of warm liquid in pan and let stand a few minutes. Gently heat just to boiling, whisking until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat and pour over prunes in a heat-proof bowl. Beat until smooth (or use a blender). Add yoghurt, and beat again until smooth. Strain through a sieve (not in the instructions, but I did it anyway based on experience).

Lightly oil ramekins, baba moulds, or what have you. Pour mixture into moulds and chill until set. Run a knife around them and dip in hot water to unmould. Will make 4-8 depending on size. I garnished mine with crystalised ginger so it would look less turd-like.

No comments: