Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Scottish Oatcakes-Nick Narin


I've owned Island Harvest for years, but these were the first thing I made from the book. The oatcakes were a great hit, though I did need more oats than the recipe indicated-I'll chalk that up to the difference in American oats. If I made them again I would use half Old fashioned and half Quick Cooking oats.

1 1/2 cups oatmeal plus extra for dusting
1/4 teaspoon bicarb.
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon bacon fat (no) lard(no) or butter (yes)
2/3 cup water

Melt the butter in the water. Sift the dry ingredients together. Add the water and mix. The oats expand and will form a soft dough (I needed much more oats).

Roll into a round 1/4 inch thick on an oat dusted board. Cut into 8ths. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, turning them every five to prevent them getting soggy. Cool on racks.

No comments: