Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Squash, Sweet Potato, and Carrots With Ginger



I came up with this dish basing my decision on ingredients I had on hand that did not require refrigeration (long story, new fridge). It does remind me a bit of the squash chowder I make in the autumn without being pureed. I served it over tri-coloured angel hair pasta which worked well though I’d guess any pasta (or rice for that matter) would do. Were I to make it again, I might add some spice or a dash of Asian chilli paste and perhaps a bit of coconut. All in all, it was well received and is probably something I would make again.

For the sauce:
4 tablespoons chunky natural peanut butter
1 cup vegetable stock reserved from main dish (you may not need it all-you just want to have enough to thin the sauce if it sits too long before serving).

You Will Need:

1 butternut squash cut into small cubes
4 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
a good sized hunk of ginger, matchsticked thinly
1 sweet potato cut into matchsticks
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, smashed
chopped cilantro for topping
2 cups vegetable (or chicken) stock
Olive oil for sautéing


Place a generous amount of olive oil to cover the bottom of a heavy pot or deep frying pan. Set to low and sauté onions and garlic for about ten minutes. Add the other vegetables. Cook over medium heat adding more olive oil if it begins being absorbed too quickly. Cook the vegetables until they are softened, but not soft. Add the stock and poach until the cubes of squash are fork soft. Drain over a bowl reserving liquid to thin the peanut butter for sauce. Serve hot over pasta or rice and top with chopped cilantro.

*Yes, that is THE rye bread in the photograph (attempt #3, featuring first clear flour)…and yes, it was really delicious.

No comments: