Thursday, May 29, 2008

Barbecued Lima Beans


I'd been curious to try these after I saw the recipe in The Women's Day Encyclopedia Of Cookery, 1960. Danny really enjoys lima beans tossed with butter and salt, so I knew I had half the battle won. He ended up really enjoying these.

The recipe couldn't be easier, though I made a few changes (organic ketchup and double the amount of mustard). It certainly made me think you could prepare these with any sauce you prefer. I get into such a rut preparing the same vegetables the same way day after day. This recipe is a keeper. If I can get my three year old to eat lima beans, a sweet potato, and spinach for lunch I feel less guilty about letting him have pudding ice cream two days in a row. He did request the oddest combination of fruit for a salad tonight (tinned plums, fresh nectarines and maraschino cherries). I guess I'll let him have it-he did eat all his lima beans.

You Will Need:

1/4 cup molasses (mild)
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
6 cups cooked lima beans (frozen works fine)

Cook and drain the beans. Mix everything else in a bowl and transfer to a large skillet. Cook over medium heat until well blended. Mix in the beans and cook a few more minutes until warmed through. Let stand a few minutes before serving. Reheats well.

No comments: