Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Ginger/Lemon Barley Water


Before I launch into the recipe, I'd like to draw your attention to my glassware. My husband thinks it is tacky to save and use the jelly glasses as barware. I disagree. It is a bonus. The fact that the jam is only a dollar a jar makes it even better.


I rather like the glasses, they are heavy, durable and have a nice pattern etched into the bottom 1/4 of the glass. What's not to love? Makes me want to drag my rocking chair out on the front porch and enjoy an alcoholic beverage. Unfortunately, I can't do that anymore, so I made barley water.


If my better half was giving me funny looks for the glasses, you can imagine the look I got when I told him what I was brewing. I'm a little surprised he'd never had it-it seems like the sort of thing my in-laws would like.


Ginger is not traditional in barley water, but when I read THIS recipe I was intrigued. I did not follow the posted recipe, but as it inspired the use of ginger, I thought it would be polite to acknowledge it. It is practically the same, as most recipes of this sort are-there's only so many ways to make lemonade or barley water. Haalo has much nicer glassware!


So break out your best jelly glasses and enjoy some cold barley water-but remember to go easy on it as the drink has a diuretic effect in large quantities.


You Will Need:


1/2 cup barley, rinsed well and drained

6 cups water

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2-3 thin slices of peeled fresh ginger

1 generous length of lemon peel zest-pith removed (about 2 inches length)

Juice of 1 lemon


Bring sugar and water to a boil. Add ginger, lemon and barley. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook 20 minutes. Remove from heat, strain through a fine sieve into a pitcher and stir in the lemon juice. Cool, then chill well before serving.

No comments: