Friday, May 16, 2008

Meatless Lasagna


I've probably made four lasagnas in my entire life. I don't know why-we enjoy it, and having leftovers is always nice.



One of the things I dislike about meatless lasagna is the tendency people have to fill it with watery vegetables like courgettes that just slide about in too little sauce and cheese. If I want tomatoes, courgettes and onion-I'll make ratatouille-not lasagna. I've tackled this problem by making a very vegetable-heavy spaghetti sauce. As a bonus, you get extra sauce for the freezer (why cook more often than you have to?).



I made the sauce a day ahead when I had time and tossed the lasagna together when I got home tonight. If you're really planning ahead, the cheese can be grated the day before as well.



This recipe makes a lot of food. We'll be eating it all week. I used whole milk ricotta because it was on sale at our market but normally, I wouldn't buy it. Part skim is fine. Cheese is a matter of taste, I guess. I had provolone and Parmesan on hand, so I used them. Mozzarella is traditional, but then, so is a layer of meat. Regular readers know I'm not a stickler for adhering to the recipe unless it is pastry. I call for whole tomatoes in a tin because that is what I buy-they are more versatile than chopped or stewed. If I need chopped, I chop them. I take this approach with pineapple rings too, as it is a simple enough matter to crush them. You can certainly substitute a tin of crushed tomatoes if that is what you have at home.





For The Sauce:



4 medium onions, chopped

4-5 cloves garlic, chopped

2 large sprigs rosemary, stripped and chopped

2-3 bay leaves

1 tablespoon dried thyme

1 tablespoon dried basil

1 teaspoon marjoram

6-8 medium carrots, sliced in thin rounds

12 oil cured olives, pitted and chopped

4 stalks celery, stripped and chopped

A good hearty grinding of fresh black pepper

4 tablespoons olive oil (plus more is needed)

2 4 ounce tins mushroom pieces, drained

1 large tin (28 oz.) of whole, Italian tomatoes, chopped, liquid reserved.

32 ounces of tomato sauce (I had 4 small tins)

2 6 ounce tins tomato paste





In a large, heavy pot heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, carrots, celery and olives. Cook until carrots and onions are softened. Add the spices and cook a few minutes until fragrant. Add everything else, bring to a boil and then cover. Reduce to a very slow simmer and cook the daylights out of it for five hours or so. Check it once in a while to make sure it isn't burning to the bottom of the pot, but basically, leave it alone.





For The Lasagna Filling:



4 cups whole milk ricotta

1 cup provolone cheese, shredded

1 cup Parmesan, finely shredded

1/2 cup chopped parsley

3 eggs

Pepper to taste



Reserve 1/8 cup of Parmesan and 1/8 cup provolone for topping. Mix everything else together in a bowl.



For The Pasta:

Cook according to directions and drain well. Use tongs to lift it in place because burning your fingers isn't fun.



In a 9x13 pan, cover the bottom with sauce. Layer sheets of pasta and then more sauce. Top with cheese mixture. Repeat until you reach the top ending with sauce. Cover with reserved cheese and cover with foil. Bake 45 minutes. Remove foil, bake 10 minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature before cutting and serving.


Warning: Objects on the internet may appear larger than in real life. Lasagna is quite slimming.


No comments: