Thursday, November 20, 2008

Baked Oatmeal


I should probably warn you that making THIS baked oatmeal from Canadian Living is so simple you will be tempted to make it every morning. I put the dish in the oven as soon as I woke and by the time I was showered and dressed I had a nice, hot breakfast waiting. I make oatmeal every morning for Danny, but this is much better with raisins, maple syrup and milk-at least I don't think anyone but the most die-hard oatmeal haters would dare to call it "gruel."

I told Danny that all Canadians eat this for breakfast (with buttered bannocks, of course) so they have the energy to go out ice fishing.

"But mama, how do they dig worms if the ground is frozen?"

"Don't be silly Danny, everyone knows Canadians don't use worms for bait, they use Timbits."

Now, if only I had a nice weak cup of freeze-dried tea…

No comments: