Thursday, November 27, 2008

Curried Apple Chutney


I had to be in the kitchen cooking anyway, so I cooked and canned some chutney. The recipe is from the Blue Book, but there is something terribly wrong in the proportions. I got five pints-the recipe said ten. Now, being off by a pint or two is common enough, but half is kind of strange. The chutney is fine (a little bit on the tart side for my tastes, but the boys like it) but I've never had a recipe be off by quite that much. Strange.

You Will Need:

2 quarts chopped, peeled and cored apples (about 16) I used Granny Smith
2 pounds seedless raisins
4 cups brown sugar
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
3 tablespoons mustard seed
2 tablespoons ginger
2 teaspoons allspice
2 teaspoons curry powder (I used Madras because I had it)
2 teaspoons salt
2 hot red peppers, seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 cups vinegar

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot and simmer until thick. Stir frequently to prevent sticking. Ladle hot chutney into hot jars. Leave 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and wipe threads clean. Process ten minutes in a boiling water canner. Let cool five minutes in the turned off canner before transferring to counter to cool. Let stand 12-24 hours before checking for seals.

No comments: