Thursday, November 27, 2008

Carmelised Tofu With Green Beans


I learned the carmelising tofu trick from 101 Cookbooks and it is now one of my favourite ways to deal with tofu. I served this with last summer's frozen green beans and some shallots from my mother-in-law's garden.

You Will Need:

1 block extra-firm tofu squeezed and pressed dry of as much water as possible. I cut mine into chunks because I think it is easier to manage, but you may prefer slices
About 2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 large shallots, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
blanched green beans

Heat the pan and oil and quickly brown the tofu. Add salt, shallots and garlic. Cook a few minutes. Add the sugar and cook a couple minutes more. Remove tofu, shallots and garlic to a plate. Add a bit more oil to the pan and cook the green beans over medium high heat until they brown a bit. Mix together with tofu and serve hot. Normally I would serve this over rice, but the boys talked me into making hand-cut chips, so we had that.

No comments: