Monday, December 21, 2009

Egg Nog Ice Cream

I'm pretty sure I hadn't bought eggnog in a good twenty five years-but last weekend I did. Today, I went back to the store, and promptly bought another container. Sure, you can make your own. I don't want to-I think I prefer the one from Roberts Dairy.

No, I'm not getting anything to endorse their product, and truthfully, I don't buy any of their other dairy items. This eggnog though...I mean...OK, this stuff should be listed as a drug. It is that addictive.

Longtime readers know that I have been ill, and that swallowing can sometimes be a problem. Well let me tell 'ya-I had no difficulty whatsoever downing eight hundred calories worth of this stuff over the weekend. Seriously, screw Ensure. This stuff is a million times better...and it has real nutmeg. I like nutmeg.

When I find something I like (butterscotch pudding, for example) the next logical step is for me to try freezing it. I'm pleased to report that twenty minutes in an ice cream maker turned the eggnog into the most delicious ice cream. Toss some boozy mincemeat over it and you have a holiday dessert no one will ever forget. It would make a great base for a frozen pie, or an ice cream cake as well.

My Neanderthal brain is thinking I should consume as much eggnog as I can while it is still available to hold me over for the lean times between mammoth kills (or winter holidays). The thought of going an entire year without it ...I can't bear to think about it. Really, I've been ill so long that although I maintain a cooking blog, I really haven't had much enjoyment from food in a long time. If you live in a part of the Midwest where you can get this eggnog-give it a try. It was one of the least expensive brands (they have an entire shelf devoted to various flavours and fat contents of the stuff) in the least flashy packaging, but wow, is it ever good. Really good.

No comments: