Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Magic Mountain


Danny decided he wanted to read us a story tonight, so he grabbed The Magic Mountain. We tried explaining that he'd think it was kind of boring, but once the kid gets an idea into his head, he follows through. And he reads quite well.

First, I need to tell a story.

About fifteen years ago, I had lung surgery. Mr. Eat The Blog sat in the waiting room while I went for my follow-up appointment with the surgeon. I came out and saw my then boyfriend sitting in a room full of people with oxygen tanks and the like...reading The Magic Mountain. To this day, he insists it was not a conscious act-but I don't believe him. You don't sit in a waiting room at the Mass general with people hacking up diseased sputum, reading Thomas Mann...without knowing exactly what you are doing. I think that was when I knew I loved him.

Anyway, tonight when Danny got the urge to read Mann, he found a post-it note I'd left in the book, many, many years ago. I thought it would be worth sharing.


Bonus quote from Danny after reading aloud the first few pages, and being told how he read that better than many adults:

"If I can read The Magic Mountain, I can learn how to yo-yo."

Indeed.

No comments: