Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Quick Cabbage


I was serving pirogi for dinner, and I had half a cabbage in the fridge. Here's what I did with what I had.
(Pirogi recipe HERE, though these were filled with potatoes, cheese, and paprika. I make these in large batches on a single day, then freeze them uncooked. It saves time when tossing together a weeknight dinner).


You Will Need:

4 tablespoons butter
1/2 large head cabbage, finely sliced
1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
Salt/Pepper
Pinch thyme
1 tablespoon imitation bacon bits
1 teaspoon juniper berries (optional) Count how many you use, so you can find them to remove at the end.
1 large, tart apple, peeled, cored and chopped
Handful of chopped parsley
1/2 cup white wine (I used a dry one, but any will do)

In a very large frying pan (or a dutch oven) heat the butter over medium heat. Add the cabbage, onion, caraway, salt/pepper/juniper/thyme. Stir in the apple. Cook about five minutes or until the cabbage begins to wilt. The cabbage should look glossy and well coated with butter. Crank up the heat to high, add the wine, and stir like crazy until the wine evaporates off. Reduce heat to low, add parsley and cook until soft. Serve warm.

3 comments:

Ruth Daniels said...

I'm drooling- they look perfect and I can't wat to make some. Perogi are one dish no one will pass up.

Janice said...

I made the cabbage dish tonight. I liked it. It was my first time cooking with juniper berries. I made sure to remove them when the dish was done. :) My somewhat less than discriminating family didn't like the carraway seeds.

Goody said...

I'm glad you liked it. As for the caraway seeds, I suppose you could leave them out with no harm done. Some people really hate them. I grew up on seed cake, so I guess I'm pretty oblivious to the flavour.

Keep the juniper berries handy for hunting season-if your husband makes good on his deer objective, juniper is a standard in most game recipes.