Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Bitter Chocolate Orange Ice-Gourmet Magazine September, 1973


This ice is too good to lose to a stack of forgotten magazines. Promise me you will give this a try before the summer comes and goes. This would be a wonderful dessert for guests that cannot have dairy. If I had thought of it, the ices could be served in hollowed-out orange halves.
Nice chandelier. That's where Gourmet went wrong in the final years-they stopped putting photographs of Austrian crystals on the cover. I mean, you just know a magazine with that kind of lighting fixture on the cover is going to be page after page of elegant stuff, not attempts to class-up chicken fried steak and green bean casserole for fuckwit foodie types.


I did not do the beating with a mixer part, instead stirring it every hour or so with a fork until it froze and solidified. I will post the recipe as printed, but I also think it could be made in an ice cream maker if you don't have room for freezer trays. I used a 9x13 glass baking dish rather than the two trays suggested, and my results were excellent.

One final thought-I might try exchanging the vanilla extract for a bit of orange blossom water.

In a small dish sprinkle 2 teaspoons gelatin over 2 tablespoons cold water to soften for 5 minutes.

In a heavy saucepan combine 3 cups water with 2 cups sugar. Cook over medium heat stirring and washing down any crystals sticking to side of pan. When sugar is dissolved, increase heat to high and boil for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, add 1 tablespoon grated orange rind and 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind. Stir in the gelatin. Stir the mixture until the gelatin is dissolved, and let it cool to lukewarm.

In a heavy saucepan, melt 4 ounces unsweetend chocolate over very low heat. Transfer the chocolate to a bowl and beat in the syrup mixture in a slow stream. Stir in 2/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Transfer the mixture to 2 freezer trays and cover with foil. Freeze until mushy. Transfer mixture to a bowl and beat it until it is smooth. return to tray and freeze until solid (about 4 hours). Makes about 1 quart.

3 comments:

Anne Elliot said...

Oh my Lord... Thank God for your vintage recipe finding skills! Can't wait to try this!

Anne Elliot said...

Oh my Lord... Thank goodness for your vintage recipe findings! I can't wait to try this!

Goody said...

Thank you, Anne. I like to share my cookbook/magazine collection rather than have them collect dust in a box upstairs.