Monday, October 08, 2007

Chips In Goose Fat





















Well, you only turn 70 once.

As soon as my mother-in-law discovered we had a (very) large container of goose fat sitting in the fridge, I had committed to frying some potatoes. At first, I thought I'd saute a new potato in it, but then I thought heck, it's her birthday-so I brought out the blackened cast iron pan and commenced frying.

It was only as the chips were bubbling away that it hit me-I know why God put me here on this Earth (and it is not to knock farts out of my husband's shorts). I looked at those chips and thought,

"Those would make wicked good poutine."

So that's it friends, God wants me to spread the Gospel of Cheese Curds and Gravy to the American Midwest-and HE wants me to use goose fat to fry the potatoes. Hey look, you don't question these signs-if He wants Goose fat, goose fat it is.

I'm thinking Omaha would be an excellent place for a Poutine stand. What do you think of the name, Corn Fed Quebecois?

And yes, She really enjoyed her birthday potatoes.

No comments: