Thursday, August 27, 2009

Cinnamon Coffee bars



These were so simple to make, Danny did most of the measuring and mixing. I adapted it from a recipe in my 1950 Betty Crocker Cookbook, but I omitted the nuts, substituted butter for shortening and made up my own festive glaze. That glaze is pretty festive, eh? I mean, just look at it-doesn't that just scream, "I'm ready to par-tay!" I even used little coloured fall leaves made of sugar for the autumnal effect. Now that my friends, is the festive effect you get buying name-brand decorating sugar. Pretty bloody festive.

You Will Need:

1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup strong black coffee-hot
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup raisins


For the Glaze:

2 cups powdered sugar and enough water to make a thick paste. It will thin and crackle as you spread it on the hot cake. Sprinkle immediately with pearl sugar, nuts, or festive designs made from sugar. Let cool completely before cutting....eh, scratch that. You know you're going to be prying still-warm slices out of the pan. You should make some coffee-flavoured whipped cream to go with it.
Grease and flour a 9x13 pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees f.

Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and mix well. Sift together dry ingredients and add slowly. Mix well. Stir in raisins.

Spread evenly in pan and bake 15-20 minutes. Spread with glaze while cake is still hot.

1 comment:

Raymond said...

Mmm! made with coffee! Coffee, sugar and fat. It's the PERFECT FOOD! All my favorite food groups: caffeine, sugar and fat! (seriously)