Friday, August 14, 2009

Salmon In Foil



This is a great way to cook fish if, like me you tend to overcook it. It also makes the house stink less than frying or pan searing.

Danny is the only one who likes salmon, and he really loves it. I bought the smallest fillet they had on sale and he can eat the other half cold for lunch tomorrow. Sort of a special treat.

In the rush to get dinner on the table after an hour on the telephone arguing with a phone company representative...in Belize, I was kind of hurried come six o'clock. By the way, if you don't get satisfactory answers sometimes it works if you just keep saying "Can you connect me to a supervisor that can answer that question?" My magic number was three people, at which point someone was able to help. That only took an hour. Then, I sort of felt bad getting pissed off because hell, that's probably a really sucky job dealing with pissed-off American consumers. I sure as hell wouldn't want to do it. Anyway, this dinner is quick if you prepeare the sauce ahead.

You Will Need:

For the sauce:

1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
a handful of chopped dried fruit (I used raisins and apricots, but figs work well too)

Cook over medium heat until it reduces by 1/4 to a syrup. Chill until needed.

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. With a baking sheet inside.

Wash the salmon fillet and pat dry. Dot generously with butter and top with sauce and fruit. Salt and pepper as you care to. Seal in foil pouch making sure to leave a bit tented at the top for steam to rise. Seal top and sides very well, folding over a couple times. Place in oven and bake 10 minutes for half-inch thickness with 5 minutes standing time in the foil before serving. Adjust time for thicker fish.
]

3 comments:

Raymond said...

I used to have a big ol' roll of sheets of white paper for cooking ("parchment"? - it was hardly that, but I think that's whatcha call it).. bought it at a Mexican grocery back in San Fran when I lived there.. I think they sell it to make tamales for those who don't want to use corn husks... anyway, I used to wrap fish up in that with some spanish olives and pimento and maybe rosemary and such and I'd steam it. Ooooh! Delish!

Goody said...

Oh, I think I know what you're talking about-almost a white butcher's paper with a funny coating on one side?

I don't use parchment because I can't fold worth crap. Foil is much more forgiving.

You know, I love pickled pimento. I really ought to get out the canner and make some, it is the easiest thing in the world and if I had them, I'd use them.

Raymond said...

I don't remember a coating, but the paper withstood the steaming. And as for folding, no special origami technique. Just lay the fish on it and fold over and fold under the ends. Like you're wrapping up a cookie in a napkin or something.

Oh, and the olives I'd use were those green ones in the jar with capers - the salty brine and capers were oh so tasty! They're in the mexican aisle @ the grocery.