Saturday, August 29, 2009

Spicy Cake Doughnuts



I've been suffering a bout of insomnia of late. Not anything terrible, it happens nearly every year at this time as the weather and length of days begin to change. I've learned to enjoy waking early-it gives me unhurried time to work without interruption and without the exhaustion I feel trying to stay up late and work. I'm a three AM sort of person anyway. I've always risen by five, so what's a couple less hours?

This morning as I brought the bread dough out of the fridge to warm, there was a very noticeable chill in the air. Tonight, we are going down into the lower 40's. I had to make doughnuts. There are certain obligations I have as mother in this household-snowy days mean baked oatmeal, and the first cold day means cinnamon doughnuts.


This recipe makes quite a few doughnuts and they really are best eaten the day they are made. Some people freeze them and then re-heat them on a baking sheet in the oven-I have not done so yet. If you decide to try that, skip sugaring them.

Adapted from the Better homes and Gardens Homemade Bread Book, 1973

You Will Need:

3 1/4 cups AP flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Dash salt
2 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup light cream
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Sift together flour, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside. In another bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar and vanilla until very thick and light. Combine melted butter and cream and add to the egg/sugar mixture. Add the flour mixture in two additions. Beat just until blended after each addition. Chill dough two hours.

Roll dough 3/8 inch thick (that is an insane measurement, but that was the direction. I cut them an inch and they were fine, but I like thick doughnuts) on a floured surface and cut with a floured cutter. Fry in deep hot fat-375 degrees F. (mine ran a bit hotter, but I'm pretty copmfortable with frying) turning once. Drain on a wire rack over a baking sheet.

In a paper bag, combine sugar and cinnamon and shake warm doughnuts to coat. I managed 18 doughnuts plus some holes from the batter.

No comments: