Monday, August 17, 2009

Green Pea Curry With Tofu


Obviously, not a traditional Matar Ki Sabzi , but an interpretation.

I added the tofu because this was to be served as a single dish and I thought it needed protein. I used fresh peas, but if you don't feel like spending an hour and a half with a four year old shelling them all-feel free to use frozen. The tomatoes I used were cherry tomatoes because I had them going overripe quickly. You could of course use any sort.

I didn't have any (Yeah, yeah, I know-a food blogger that can't eat, hilarious) but Danny cleaned his plate and Mr. Eat The Blog had seconds. I served it over jasmine rice (which is my everyday rice)but you could of course use Basmatti.

Adapted from The Spice Box, Vegetarian Indian Cooking

You Will Need:

2 tablespoons ghee
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 medium onions, sliced
2 cups cherry tomatoes cut in half
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon sugar
3 cups of fresh peas
Salt to taste
1/2 cup hot water
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 tablespoon lemon juice


Heat the ghee in a large pot and toast the cumin seeds for two minutes over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until browned. Add tomatoes, all the powdered spices (except garam masala) and sugar. Add peas and hot water and cook ten minutes. Add lemon juice and garam masala. Serve hot over rice.
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne

No comments: