Sunday, September 06, 2009

Bread Experiment


This was baked from dough that had a very wet (almost liquid) sponge that fermented 24 hours. Then, the dough was chilled for two days before being baked today. The result was nice. I feel like I'm getting closer to what I want in a French bread, but still have not quite achieved it. When I've baked this as a boule, I use the dutch oven in a 450 degree F. oven-that really helps with the crust. With a baguette or batard, I'm stuck creating steam in the open oven with a pan of hot water and the results are less satisfactory. I suppose this means we'll finally do the brick oven outside-then I'll promptly lose interest in baking bread. Anyway, this is an on-going project, but I'm determined to get a crackly crust and open crumb French bread even if that means I have to bake bread every single day until I get it right.

Anyone want a loaf of bread?

No comments: