Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Tomato and Fresh Mozzarella Torta


If I did this again, I'd roast the tomatoes first, as it was on the borderline of being too wet. I did seed and drain the sliced tomatoes first, but it didn't get rid of enough moisture. It was fine, as it was all eaten tonight, but I doubt it would have held up well for leftovers.

No real recipe here, just a technique. Instead of making a pizza, I let the dough go through two rises and then divided it in two. I fit it into a large, well-oiled springform pan and then filled and topped it. Brushed with an egg yolk and water wash and baked at 375 degrees F. for about forty minutes. This torta is filled with tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, Parmesan, fresh basil, black olives, roasted garlic, and a generous grinding of pepper.

You could also make this into a calzone just as easily.

4 comments:

Raymond said...

I can't decide if I want this or the kugel more. Both look A+. At least, I hope you took a picture with this atop your head, becuz it does look like a great crown for a master baker (I said master *BAKER*) such as yourself!

Goody said...

Master baker here always willing to lend a "helping hand"...


Oh, you *knew* I would go there.

Goody said...

Sorta marginally related:

At the grocery store:

Danny: (Loudly) Is my belly button part of my privates, or can I touch it in public?

Raymond said...

Danny comment added to my archive...