Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Mushroom Barley Soup


I let mine cook for a full six hours. You can do this in less time, but you sacrifice the thickening from the barley giving off starch.

You Will Need:

2 quarts rich vegetable broth
1 cup pearl barley, well rinsed and drained
2 bay leaves
8 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 lb. mushrooms (I used Baby Bellas) chopped
A few diced red potatoes


Bring everything to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover with a lid left about an inch ajar for steam to escape. Cook several hours until thick.

2 comments:

Raymond said...

mmm.. I need something like that. I've got a bit of a cold, and the weather is FINALLY cooling off here in the hellish central valley of Cali so it's the season for savory soup.

Goody said...

Aw, I hope you're feeling better soon.