Thursday, October 08, 2009

Tapenade Rolls


As soon as I saw the lovely tapenade rolls featured in the Guardian, I knew I would be making them-sort of. I liked the idea, but wanted to try it out with my standard, "go-to", dinner roll recipe. I also know my child pretty well, and if it is shaped even vaguely like a cinnamon roll, he will eat it without complaint, hence the shape decision.

I'm serving vegetable soup and potato kugel for dinner this evening-these rolls will be perfect.

the original recipe is HERE.

My interpretation follows below:

For the tapenade:

1/2 cup pitted Kalamatta olives
1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
1 tablespoon preserved lemon peel, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
A grinding of black pepper

Mix together in blender and let sit while you make the rolls.

For the rolls:

4 1/2 teaspoons granulated yeast (not instant)
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup whole milk
3/4 teaspoon salt (Normally, it would be 2, but with the salt of the olives I cut back)
4-5 cups bread flour
3 whole eggs

Proof the yeast in the warm water. Meanwhile, warm the milk, sugar, salt and butter just until the butter melts and the sugar and salt dissolve. Remove from heat, cool to lukewarm.

In a large bowl, combine milk/butter mixture with the yeast, eggs, and 1 1/2 cups of the flour. Mix well. Add enough remaining flour to make a dough that can be kneaded easily without being sticky. Knead until smooth-about ten minutes.

Place in a buttered bowl, turn to coat and then cover with plastic. Let rise until doubled.

Punch dough down and divide in two. Roll each out into a rectangle and spread with half the tapenade. Roll up and slice into eight pieces. Repeat with other roll. Place on a buttered baking sheet and cover lightly. Let rise in a warm place (I used the top of the pre-heating stove) until almost doubled-about 40 minutes. Bake in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until done. You should probably keep an eye on them, you know?

No comments: