Thursday, November 26, 2009

Spinach, Peas Shoot, and Rocket Timbales

Pretty fancy, huh?
Sure, they looked better in the magazine. I think it has to do with the chopped hard boiled egg on top...because the five eggs in the recipe clearly weren't enough.

I based the recipe on one using only spinach from the March, 1972 Gourmet Magazine. My timables are shorter, and I skipped the tomato slice and hard boiled egg topping, but it was still a lovely way to serve green vegetables. I just couldn't face a green bean casserole, even with fresh beans, and homemade sauce. Mr. Eat The Blog likes it, and for years I would make it for him. After sixteen years I figured it would be OK if I skipped it this year. I don't think he noticed.

You can do this with all spinach, but I wouldn't do all pea shoots, or rocket. I think that would be too assertive. I used about a cup of each, and that provided a good balance.

After cooking these kept warm in a toaster oven until I was ready to serve them without drying out or becoming soft. That's convenient when you're trying to time an elaborate dinner. I kept them warming a good fifteen minutes with no ill effects.

You Will Need:

3 cups cooked, squeezed and dried spinach-chopped well. Or substitute other greens as you like.
1/4 cup finely minced onion
1/4 cup butter
1 cup light cream (half and half)
4 large eggs plus 1 yolk
Salt, Pepper, Nutmeg to taste


Butter 6 large ramekins generously. Place them in a deep pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and set some water to boil for the pan-it will need to come 2/3 way up sides of ramekins.

In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter and cook the onion until it softens. Add the dried greens/spinach and cook until well-coated. Add the cream slowly and cook until cream is reduced and thickened. Spinach should absorb most of it.

Remove to a bowl and cool ten minutes.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs lightly and add the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the spinach and mix well. Spoon into ramekins and set in pan. Pour water in carefully and bake about 25 minutes or until they are set and puffed. Remove from water and keep warm until ready to serve. Unmould by running a knife around the edge and inverting onto a plate

No comments: