Monday, September 27, 2010

Apple/Pear Crumble


Now, it is officially fall. Oh, I know what the calendar says, but it isn't official in this household until a crumble has been baked. So there.

Feel free to change around the spices, types of fruit, etc. I used red pears because I had them, and the combination of apples was really a matter of what I grabbed from the bin first. I did like the way some varieties of apples remained crisper giving the whole dessert a better overall texture-a little mushiness is good, but you're not aiming for applesauce (well, you may be, but I'm not). I served mine with sweetened whipped cream, but ice cream would be nice too (or if you're lucky enough to live in a place where you can get double cream-that would be delicious).

I rarely eat the things I bake here, but I did have a bowl of this, and it was really wonderful. I'm kind of a sucker for baked pears in just about any form.

Blah, blah, blah-hey look everybody, mama made a crumble! Happy Autumn.

You Will Need:

4 cups thickly sliced apples (I peel them, but that's just me) I used Granny Smith, Cortland, and Gala
2 large pears, sliced
1 teaspoon lemon juice to sprinkle over fruit
1/4 cup water
1 cup raisins
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup AP flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup quick cooking oats (you can use regular old fashioned oats-it will be chewier)
1/3 cup butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter a large baking dish (2 quart is good, or a 9x13)

In a bowl, combine the apples and pears with the lemon juice and water. Pour into prepared pan once all fruit is cut-up, and sprinkle with the ginger and nutmeg. In another bowl, combine flour, sugar, oats and salt. Cut-in the butter and then spread over the apples. Place dish on a baking sheet to catch any spills and bake 40 minutes to an hour, or until bubbling and nicely browned on top. Serve warm.

No comments: