Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Kichels


I think I prefer this to the recipe I've used previously-but they still don't come close to what I remember getting from the local bakery as a child. Still, they're pretty good for what they are (puffy egg cookies) and they're so light you can almost convince yourself they're not full of eggs and oil.

From The Art of Jewish Cooking, Jennie Grossinger (You know, of the resort in the Catskills-think Dirty Dancing) 1958

I should note that this book belonged to my mother. I don't think she ever used it.

You Will Need:

3 eggs (I used large)
1/2 cup salad oil
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup sifted flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons poppy seeds (I omitted these)
Cinnamon sugar for topping (I added this)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease 2 baking sheets. Have eggs at room temperature before beginning. Beat the eggs until very light. Add the oil, sugar, flour and salt. Add poppy seeds if using. Beat well until very smooth.

Drop by teaspoons onto greased baking sheet leaving about 3 inches between (they puff as they bake). Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon sugar and bake 15 minutes, or until puffed and lightly browned. Makes about 36 (I got 24).

No comments: