Sunday, December 17, 2017

Christmas Brooch of the Day-Day Nineteen

Can't do a feature on Christmas brooches without a poinsettia. This enamel one isn't terribly old, as evidenced by the near-perfect condition. I remember buying it retail but I am at a loss for when or where. 80's? 90s? All one blur I'm afraid. I have matching earrings somewhere but haven't been able to lay my hands on them (of course I can't find them-they will turn up in June!) but I suppose that's typical. No markings on this one.

5 comments:

Bibi Maizoon said...

Very pretty & very rare to see a simple, single poinsettia in a brooch. Poinsettias grow wild (although that aren't native) here and to heights of 20 ft or so.

Polyester Princess said...

I love the fresh bright colours of this brooch, although I'm not a fan of Poinsettias. Would have loved to see the earring. Oh, well, I guess I'll wait until June, then! xxx

bahnwärterin said...

yes - very pretty! although this plants have a complete other meaning at their home in mexico... ;-)
xxxxx

Beth Waltz said...

This botanically accurate poinsettia surprised me with the realization that it's not necessarily a Christmas pin. Hmmmm. This would look good with a muumuu!

Goody said...

@Bibi
We had a poinsettia that lived for a few years and it was incredible how tall it grew once we took it outdoors. It eventually succumbed to insects, but without being pruned back they will get crazy tall, even in Nebraska. It did however lose colour and remained green outdoors in the summer.

@Ann
I like them, but this year I forgot to buy one. I have plastic ones in the front garden to liven things up a bit in winter. I saw some spray-painted neon coloured ones at the store last week-dusted with glitter. They called them, "Cosmic Poinsettias" now that would be a good brooch!

@Beate
Yes, I've heard the legend in America too.

@Beth
Everything looks good on a muumuu! I just bought a crazy looking blue and white satin caftan-maybe I'll take your advice and pop the brooch on it.